Re: Developer Status

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:14:59 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:33:28PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > Developer Status
> > ================
> Hi all, thanks for this proposal.

I'd also like to thank Ganneff (and whoever contributed to the
concept) for their effort, and I like the general direction and many
of the ideas.

(And thanks Zack for summing up some of my thoughts in your mails :))

> It is about something that we have discussed several times in the
> past, and was already agreed as a point of Debian needing improvement:
> how to upon contribution to non-hackers, and how to recognize those
> contributions.

Ack.
That's one of the good points in the proposal; I also like that it
gives a clearer picture of what is required to do specific tasks.

> Still DMs are commonly "used" (wow, never used that many double quotes
> in 2 paragraphs ...) as part of special purpose maintenance team, my
> example is as usual the pkg-ocaml-maint team. In these cases, members
> of the team are better suited to review the packages than the NMC, at
> least a priori.

DMs are used in some teams and not in some others because of problems
already pointed out in this thread; but I wanted to add another
thought regarding teams:

One of the results of the BOFs about team maintenance during
DebConf8 was that getting involved in a team is a good way for new
contributors to get involved into Debian: they learn a lot from the
interaction with more experienced maintainers, they get mentoring and
at the same time can't break stuff easily.

What I was thinking about is the question if membership in teams
could be integrated in the process for becoming a new $abbreviation.
I have no concrete idea how this could be done; obviously becoming a
member in a packaging team can't be a prerequisite; but maybe it can
give "bonus points" or -- as you suggested -- team members can be
involved in the evaluation of the work.

> > Those two "classes" are the initial set in which every NM will end
> > up. After six months as DC or DM one might chose to become a
> > Debian Member or Debian Developer. This
> FWIW, 6 months seems a reasonable time frame to me.

Ack.
And I think having a clear time frame (be it 3, 6, or 12 months or
whatever) is in itself helpful. Nowadays if someone enters the NM
process the only thing they know is "it will probably take a long
time ..."

Cheers,
gregor

--