Re: Update #1 [RFC: Introducing Debian Enhancement Proposals (DEPs)]

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > Why can't we manage the DEP list just like the rest in a VCS ? A VCS
> > commit is atomic. :)
>
> To avoid religious was on which VCS to choose :-)

Just use svn for that part. It's by far the most widely used VCS within
Debian. And git-svn works well for the rapidly growing population of git
fanboys (like me). :-)

And you can always create a mail interface if you really want to please
people who refuse to touch svn. The mail interface would register the DEP
in the VCS and send back the number.

> > Posting a mail to get a number is not an adequate process IMO. Or are we
> > supposed to post a first draft without number and get the number
> > afterwards?
>
> Can you argue about why is it not?

Because it's asynchronous, and when I have some time to dedicate to
something (like taking care of a DEP), I want to be able to do everything
right now.

I need the number to start committing on the dep repository anyway. If I need to
send a mail, wait for it to go through (think greylisting, delays induced
by master sometimes), hope that nobody else has sent a mail at the same
time which is blocked on an intermediary SMTP servers and only then pick
the number... even worse would be if I had to wait until someone else
gives me a number.

> Also, the point of deciding the number before starting to write the
> initial proposal is not that relevant as well: does it really matter
> whether you have a number in advance or not?

Yes because that number influences where I'm going to commit the proposal
and stuff like that.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog