Re: NM process, AMs, advocates, mentors and applicants

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> I wish that AMs could spend even *more* time per applicant than is
> currently spent following the standard templates.  Marc was my AM and
> did a T&S evaluation based on solving real problems in Debian
While that sounds great, it sounds more of a mentor role than an AM role
to me.  The problem is an AM doesn't get to choose their NM and there
can often be a great mis-match of skills.

Think of two AMs, one knows perl and the other C network daemons. And
then two applicants, again with same skills.  You have a 50/50 chance
of aligning the skills, and in some ways more importantly, the interest
of the AM and NM.

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> 2. a few DDs (any AMs?) pre-date the NM process and maybe wouldn't
> pass it - it's debatable whether that means that the DD shouldn't be a
> DD, or that the NM process is testing the wrong things.
That's one of the biggest problems of it, to me the process is too
difficult and is "picket fencing" where you ignore some parts of being
a Debian maintainer but then plunge deep into some esoteric questions.

Other than I needed it to check the applicants answers, I could of
done my work in Debian without knowing most of the T&S stuff.  I doubt
that I'm unique.

> I also suggest that such AM-mentoring is inefficient and borders on
> improper, like a teacher examining (rather than merely testing) their
I agree with that sentiment.  I have been an AM and still are a mentor,
but never both at the same time. A mentor to me is more of a guide, the
AM is more of a gatekeeper.

 - Craig

--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au