NM process, AMs, advocates, mentors and applicants

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 10:51:07AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> In short, the above is a symptom of a misstructured NM process.

No it isn't, it's the inevitable result of dealing with people.  You
just can't put every test you want to do in strict rules, you need
people to look at it and see "what was meant".

> Current NM tests the AM [...] way too much.

And thus this cannot be avoided.  There shouldn't be a problem with it
anyway, since every DD (and therefore every AM) should be able to pass
the NM process without problems.

Testing the AM is a side-effect, which is not the purpose of the tests,
but there is no problem with it.

> Reform NM: mentor-advocates should teach their applicants and help
> them to produce a file demonstrating that they possess all the
> required DD skills; the AM should then check for any gaps (temporarily
> rejecting if needed) and test the applicant, recording the test; then
> that portfolio and test results are passed to FD and on to DAM, in a
> verifiable, effective, timely and appropriate process.

I have an idea.  Let's split mentor-advocate and add the mentor function
to the AM.  You know what?  You seem to have described the current
process.  The file you're talking about is known as the "private AM
report".

Which also means it has all the same "problems" (not that I agree that
it is a problem, but let's assume for a moment that it is): When doing
these tests, we're also testing the mentor-advocate, not only the
applicant.

The split of AM and mentor may be useful, but there doesn't seem to be
much need for it.  At least AFAICS the problem with NM is mostly at the
"waiting for DAM to create account" stage.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html