Re: gpg changesets (was Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!)

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 12:54:41AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > That means you can't reorder changesets easily. I wonder if it'd be
> > better say "del uid joeyh@master.debian.org" and have the tool work out
> > which uid (if any) that is.
> I don't feel that reordering changesets is a good thing in general, since
> it can lead to other problems (for example, reordering a key deletion to
> come before a key addition), and it loses history that can be useful for
> reviewing why and when a given change was made.

I was more meaning it as an optimisation so you could ignore "key
add 0x7172daed" if there was a "key delete 0x7172daed" changeset
later. Likewise a "uid add" followed by a "uid del" or whatever.

How would you convert "gpg --refresh-keys" into changeset based
operations, I wonder? Maybe you could do it by something like:

    cp real-keyring.gpg tmpkeys.gpg
    gpg --keyring tmpkeys.gpg --refresh-keys
    for x in $(changed-keys); do
      (
      echo "Changed-By: me"
      echo "Comment: new signatures/uids for key $x"
      echo "Action: import --keyserver-options merge-only"
      echo "Data:"
      gpg --keyring tmpkeys.gpg --ascii --armour --export "$x" | sed -e 's/^/  /'
      ) > changeset-refresh-$x
    done
    rm tmpkeys.gpg
    echo "Now you just have to apply changeset-refresh-* to real-keyring.gpg :)"

?

Cheers,
aj