Re: package ownership in Debian

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Simply change the NMUs to be always 0-day, for all bugs >=normal. Which
> means - upload and mail to BTS at the same time.
> And such dumb rules some maintainer have like "never touch my package"
> get ignored - if it complains it should do a better maintainer job...

 I think this can get in the way of properly maintaining some packages
 and can cause additional work in some cases.  I think it would be an
 awful move in the current state of the Debian community.

 First, if the maintainer is working on larger changes, he won't send a
 message to all of his bugs to say "hold off any NMU, I'm working on
 this".
   Second, if the maintainer is maintaining stuff in a VCS, merging the
 NMU can be a pain which causes additional work.
   Third, too many people are doing ugly NMUs and simply don't care of
 the result.  I was the victim of multiple awful NMUs that caused
 additional work to me (because I had to handle upgrades from this NMU),
 disrupted migration to testing of package groups, introduced bugs etc.

 I have a problem with giving everybody the right to do 0-days NMUs, for
 normal (or serious) bugs, and this problem is connected to the fact
 that some developers do crap and *don't* *care* about it.

 I know that package quality can vary from person to person, and that
 some people *cherish* their packages, and this is not what I want to
 discuss.  Instead, I think that the problem would be with the outlaws
 to the expected good behavior we should have with packages in the
 archive in such a scheme.

 Would we all be friendly to each other, the solution would be
 educational: we would simply learn from comments of fellows, or simply
 learn from our mistakes.  But the current climate in Debian does not
 permit this.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>