Re: Reforming the NM process

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:40:34PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> 2.1 Multiple advocates
> ----------------------

> Ask for more than one advocate (at the moment, I'm thinking about
> two). This should get the number of people advocated with a "Errr,
> I met him, he seemed nice" down. At the same time, encourage prospective
> advocates no to advocate too fast.
> Also, two advocates are not a problem for someone who should apply in
> the NM queue - if there is only one project member who's willing to
> advocate you, something is foul anyway.

We discussed this a bit on IRC, and feedback seemed positive, so I'll
comment here as well.  I don't think having multiple advocates solves
anything; if the problem is that you have a large pool of people acting as
poor advocates, then requiring them to get *two* bad advocates is only
slightly more challenging than getting one.

It would be better if we could have clear guidelines for advocates, to cover
the gap between what AMs are expecting of incoming NMs and who advocates are
actually advocating; and if necessary, to disqualify certain DDs from
advocating if they consistently abuse the system by ignoring these
guidelines.

Cheers,