Re: non-free firmware

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:00:06PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > Source code is clearly mandatory under the DFSG for programs.
>
> Actually, that's a bit of a tricky one. I've written small programs
> entirely in binary, for which there was no source code.

If you wrote them in binary, totally without comments or any other
form of indicating what it is that you have written, then what you
have written is both source code and compiled program, since it is the
prefered form for modification. [The GPL's definition of source is the
best definition of source we have, and as such is the place to start
for determining whether or not a work supplies source.]

Don Armstrong