Re: Status of mirror split and AMD64

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:40:23AM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> could the FTP-Team please clairify what the current status of the mirror
> split and the inclusion of AMD64 is? It has been said this will happen
> directly after the release of sarge. Sarge is now 7 month out and (to
> the enduser view) nothing has happened. This is very embarrassing for
> Debian.
>
> I don't like to hear "It will happen" but what the actual current status
> is and where the community can help.

aj blogged about it here:

http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/11/16#2005-11-16-dak

There was also some talk about this during the recent "Archive
architecture qualification" IRC discussion on #debian-tech[1]:

< Q_> aj: So what still needs to happen for the mirroring changes?
<aj> Q_: work out exactly what mirrors should do; tell mirrors
	what they should do; wait for mirrors to do that
[...]
<aj> Q_: there's already a reasonably easy script, it's more the
	issue of making it easy for people to find a (eg) m68k mirror
	when the country mirror only had i386 eg

There have also been ongoing discussions about optimizing
apt-ftparchive, but I am not sure whether this is part of the solution
as well.  Maybe aj can comment on that.

cheers,

Michael

--