Branden's mail policies

Hi all,

I originally sent this mail to:
	To: leader@debian.org
	Cc: bdale@debian.org, vorlon@debian.org, jeroen@debian.org,
		enrico@debian.org, andreas@debian.org, mako@debian.org
i.e. Leader and Project SCUD

I've not had any form of reply though and feel this is a problem the
project needs to address if the leader is going to continue to send mail
from a blacklisted host and not care about doing so.

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:33:25AM -0500, Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader wrote:
> * Switzerland: Marc Schaefer periodically collects donations and sends
>   them along to another organization, which I think is `ffis e.V.`_.
>   Unfortunately, I have not been able to reach Marc to clarify this
>   because he has been (probably inadvertently) `blocking my mail`_.
[..]
> I received an interview request from Andy Channelle of the UK
> publication Linux Format, but unfortunately was unable to get my
> response to him because he's `blocking my mail`_.  A freelancer for the
> `Gartner Group`_ also contacted me with a very long message, to which
> I'm not sure how to reply yet.

> Conclusion
> ----------
> I'm curious to know how you feel I am fulfilling my responsibilities as
> Debian Project Leader.  You can reach me at ``leader@debian.org``.

> .. _blocking my mail: http://deadbeast.net/~branden/homepage/mailblock.html

If you are mailing on behalf of yourself, then I don't think anyone
cares how you mail people but if you are mailing on behalf of
leader@debian.org then perhaps you could consider using one of the
Debian machines instead of a known blacklisted IP on a widely
blacklisted range.

Your ISP has added your range to the DUL as I'm sure you as an
intelligent technical person know so I am slightly amazed that you don't
see any need to either contact your ISP to get a different IP, change
ISP, use a different host to send your mail, or if you trust your
current ISP so much then use their smarthost.

Whilst I realise you won't change when mailing as yourself, as part of
your duties as our leader I believe you really should make every effort
to get your message acrosss.  I'd urge the other members of Project Scud
to encourage Branden to use a Debian machine with an IP that isn't
listed in the DUL to send mail if he won't consider any other
approaches.

You can see on your "blacklist backlash" that JaNET, the UK's academic
network is listed as respecting the DUL.  Blacklisting via the DUL is a
positive measure when coupled with virus scanning smarthosts as it
reduces the number of virus mails spread by clients like Outlook.

I'm happy for this mail to see a wider audience.  If you can indicate in
any reply whether you are or not that would be useful.

Thanks.

--
 ,--huggie-at-earth-dot-li--------stuff-thing-stuff----------DF5CE2B4--.
_|  "Therapy is expensive. Popping bubble wrap is cheap. You choose."  |_