Re: Complaint about #debian operator

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:29:21AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> As absurd as Andrew's comparison may seem, the diffs distributed from
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/patches/ are pretty underwhelming as far as
> "contributing back to Debian" is concerned.  Last time I poked at a package
> diff there, IIRC the site showed me the diff against the last official sync
> point with sid, *not* a -- so instead of looking at what Ubuntu had changed,
> I was looking at n months of the Debian package's own diffs, plus the bits
> changed by Ubuntu, all thrown in together. :/

I believe this is due to snapshot.d.n having lost a considerable amount
of its archive.  As those patches were generated from the packages
there, they're now diffed against /dev/null basically.  At least, that's
what I heard as explanation for these symptoms some times ago, it could
well be something else or a fundamental problem with the way the patches
are generated.

Personally, I think the display of patches is alrightyish.  As far as
"contributing back to Debian" is concerned, I am more underwhelmed how
fellow DDs who work at Canonical do not upload the new packages they
make for Ubuntu to unstable.  Of course, this is all their free time and
decision.  We need to concentrate more on the Utnubu project I guess.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer