Re: Debian UK (was Re: What the DFSG really says about trademarks)

Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> wrote:
> I see nothing on this that can be considered a Debian (as "The Debian
> Project") problem, it's an internal problem of the Uk Debian Fellows [...]

Yes, mostly, you're right and they're not enough to act on. One
possible debian problem is the use of db.d.o when DMUP forbids
commercial use, but I don't know how that works in practice.

> except for:
> > * I don't like DUS carrying on business as "Debian-UK".
>
> So, are you suggesting that every group around the world, such as
> debian-br, which does sell branding clothes and other stuff should take
> a different name?

I don't know debian-br and I didn't find enough explanation.
Trading with "debian" in the name is an advantage against other
local businesses who can sell debian CDs, isn't it? What does
the project get in return for that advantage?

In general, I think a group now should be called debian only if:
  1. it's a debian subproject, OR
  2. it's a local charity and got consensus BEFORE trading, OR
  3. it's outside the scope of trademark infringement,
because these things have big potential to reflect on debian.
1 offers debian some influence, 2 should ensure minimal "good
governance" and debian influence and 3 we can't do much about.

DUS seems neither subproject nor UK charity, but a business at
present.  If the long-standing "To be fair to all businesses, we
insist that no business use the name "Debian" in the name of the
business, or a domain name of the business"[1] is being changed,
then I welcome that as a businessman, but I strongly believe
we should continue "To be fair to all businesses" and do it in
a consistent and non-discriminatory way.  Is there a good
argument for a series of one-off favours?

[1] http://www.debian.org/News/1998/19980306a

Hope that explains it,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/