Re: Delegation for trademark negotiatons with the DCCA

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 05:18:50PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Please feel free to e-mail me at any time if you have questions or
> wish to make a comment on the usage of the trademark; I will (as
> usual) be participating on -project and -legal.

I am not a Debian Developer, but when I look at the DCCA naming
from the outside, it seems obvious to me that the word "core" is
the problem in the naming that was chosen. I currently interprete
the DCCA as an *external* initiative from a group of companies and
individuals to set-up commercially support for Debian and maybe
the business needs will require this group to define a slightly
separate product that is clsoe to but not quite exactly Debian
(certainly that product should be labeled differently, to avoid
any possible confusion).

While it is an important extension for the Debian project to win
more groups that perform commercial support on a more "commercially
oriented", Debian-based platform, this group should not confuse the
world with the word "core" that I read as a straight conflict with
the *external* nature that I see for the commercial group. It is not
that commercial group that makes the key decisions for the Debian
project (at least I hope), but the word "core" does imply that to me.

So a naming in the sense of "Debian Commercial Support Association"
or something along those lines would seem to make it clearer to me
what the relationship is between the group and the real Debian project.
Or maybe, the group should just find a artistic name, and then use
this "Debian Commercial Support Association" as its tag-line (which
leaves them the freedom to do other things as well in a later phase
of their existence).

Peter