Re: Poll results: User views on the FDL issue

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 03:33:03PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > "It's the same program whether it's in C or in m68k machine code."
>
> For example, I may place a formal copyright notice in a comment in
> every .c file in my application. You're not allowed to remove these
> copyright notices when you distribute my source code, however, these
> comments are removed by the compiler during compilation, and the
> resulting binary is distributable.
>
> There is no analog to this situation with documentation.

Lets look at a trivial example of this situation in documentation:

echo '\documentclass{article}
% This document is Copyright 2005 By Foo Bar Baz
% Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
\begin{document}
Hello World
\end{document}' > example.tex; pdflatex example.tex; xpdf example.pdf;

Hrm. No this document is copyrighted there...

strings example.pdf|grep Foo; Hrm. Not there either.

Don Armstrong

--
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are
 -- Dwight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953