Re: Google ads on debian.org

On 2004-12-14 17:34:14 +0000 Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

* MJ Ray (mjr@dsl.pipex.com) wrote:
It seems quite correct to me. Not-for-profit is not the same as non-commercial, as you rightly state. However, the poster is commenting on commerciality not not-for-profit status. I can quite understand that some people would not want to donate time towards a commercial enterprise.
See, this is what I disagree with, that Debian would be made a
'commercial enterprise' by having ads on it's website.  Perhaps it's
just a language issue.

Yes, it probably is a language issue. You're discussing debian, I'm discussing a web page. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with commercial enterprise, but I know some people don't want to work for free for one. If something is generating income directly, some feel that their contributions should be rewarded.

[...] My point with this was to point
out that universities are commercial (they sell services) without being
"evil for-profit companies".

Some universities are considered evil by many, investing and participating in arms development.

I certainly didn't get the same impression as you about commerciality being evil. Just that the poster didn't want to work for a commercial web site just now. It's their choice and I don't think you should call them sad for making it.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
 Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/