Re: Mail forwarding in return for Debian donation

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:32:46PM +0100, Pete van der Spoel wrote:
> I can see where you're coming from, but I think that's a very pessimistic
> way of looking at it. Also, I'm not suggesting paying a thousand people a
> full salary.
>
> What about having a small financial reward for each release critical bug
> that is squashed?

While Debian cannot do so for various reasons already pointed out in the
thread, nobody stops anyone from paying someone to do any or a specific
bugfix. Since bugfixing is hard to judge (done well vs. just a hacky
patch remediating the issue but not really solving it), you'll probably
need to specifically choose someone and something to fix. In fact, you
'hire' some developer for fixing your pet bug, something that is a key
element to the open source business model.

By specifically choosing someone to do a certain task, you don't
have very strongly the disadvantage of people only attracted by the
money, which would be a bad thing. Bounties have been announced for
anyone doing a specific task in the past[1], but the key difference is
that it is much more easily judgeable whether a certain bug is indeed
present, then to judge whether a fix is good.

--Jeroen

[1] http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5121

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar