Re: Skolelinux and the "Debian Labs" idea

Martin, I want to applaud you for a taking the time to think through
this as much as you have. I think this is an elegant way to draw a
distinct line between Debian the project and non-profit work on Debian
while still letting charitable organizations be able to bear the
Debian name.

You weren't explicit about the non-profit aspect in the message in any
sort of categorical way but I want to step forward and say that I do
not want to see commercial entities calling themselves Debian-anything
and am not sure from a trademark perspective, this would be a wise
choice at all.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 01:16:28AM +1000, Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader wrote:
> We could create a "Debian Labs" brand and publicize what it means for
> an organization to carry that name.

The line I want draw here, and I think you're saying the same thing,
is that we'd be explaining to people what the "XXX Debian Labs" means
and why it is different than Debian. We should *not* create a list of
criteria that if you or your organization matches, you automatically
get to start using the name. I think this needs to be dealt with on a
case-by-case basis.

> Also, is there anyone interested in helping develop these
> guidelines?

I foresee two sets of guidelines that need to be written. The first is
the one that we (non-lawyers and probably Debian developers) write
that explains what we think, in broad terms, Debian-Labs should
mean. This is what we put on our website.

The second set of guidelines is the Trademark License Agreement that
specifies, in legal terms, the guidelines we've specified above. This
is what the actually organizations agree to. It will need to be
written up by our lawyers.

In terms of the first, I began work on this a week and a half ago as
part of a larger project to define, at this sort of level, the
relationship between Debian, SPI, and several types of affiliated
organizations. Of course, I'd very much welcome help and I'll contact
the people who responded to this off-list to see about collaboration.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benj. Mako Hill