Re: Is work on Debian community service?

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 12:35:36PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 12:24:01AM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> > Do you think work for the Debian project should be considered
> > Community Service?
>
> I don't think there's a universal definition of "community service".
> Since your school is the one defining the term in this case, I suggest
> that you ask them.  Our opinions matter little here.

I agree, there really is no definition of "community service." (I've
looked!) It seems everyone has their own definition.

> > Of course, they don't trust me to record my own hours.
>
> Well, then, who do they trust?  Someone from Debian might be willing
> to help record your hours, but that won't help if your school doesn't
> trust them either.

They trust anyone that isn't me or another student at my school :-)

> Basically, I think you're talking to the wrong set of people here.
> You need to pitch this idea to your school, not us.  Now, if you're
> just asking if we think it might be worthwhile to pitch this idea to
> your school, then I'd say yes.

I was just hoping to guage the general mood here before I take my
opinions to the school -- I don't want to be the only one who thinks
that what I do is community service :-)

Thanks everybody for your opinions!

--
Duncan Findlay