Re: Spam

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 02:14:12PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 04:00:55PM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:
> > In any case, I think AJ's solution is pretty good and is worth
> > pursuing.
>
> For those on the list who don't follow -private, it was something to the
> effect of:
>
> When a new mail comes in:
>
> 	if from/sender is a subscriber:
> 		send it on
> 	if from/sender is in whitelist:
> 		send it on
> 	otherwise:
> 		store message for up to 48 hours
> 		send challenge to from/sender
> 		[ if valid response is received:
> 			add from/sender to whitelist
> 			send message
> 		]
>
> The challenge/response should probably be the same sort of thing you get
> for subscriptions. This'd allow people who send mail from an address
> other than what they subscribe from to cope fairly easily, as long as
> they're posting from a real address (or can add the appropriate headers
> to point to a real address).

I've still an unanswered question: Who should manage this?

The nl.linux.org site (which also hosts a lot of other free software
related sites) have a very good spamfiltering software, see
http://spamfilter.nl.linux.org for details. I think it's worth a look.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org