Re: Disputes between developers - content, draft #4

>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 Ian> Hamish Moffatt writes ("Re: Disputes between developers - content, draft #4"):
 >> This seems to imply that only developers submit bugs. Although your
 >> document is specifically about communications between developers,
 >> developers also interact with users particularly through the BTS.
 >> Therefore I suggest generalising the last sentence to both parties
 >> rather than both developers.

 Ian> In an earlier message, in a reply to a similar point by Manoj, I said:

 Ian>   I do think we have to place developers in a privileged position.  This
 Ian>   isn't really because they're necessarily better than nondevelopers,
 Ian>   but because we have (or should have!) in the project other ways of
 Ian>   dealing with developers who persistently submit junk bugs and engage
 Ian>   in other kinds of unhelpful activity.

 Ian>   Writing a requirement that developers have to treat every junk bug
 Ian>   from a nondeveloper seriously may end up wasting a lot of people's
 Ian>   time.

 Ian> Do you disagree ?

	I think I have a philosophical objection. Debian contributors
 record more in their ranks than just debian developers. There
 countless upstream authors that have helped me improve my packages,
 and they follow the Debian BTS for their code; I would place such a
 person higher than I would myself, or my fellow developers, when it
 came to a dispute about their code.

	Debian is a community thatt requires the efforts of more than
 the thousand or so developers in our ranks, and we should acknowledge
 their contribution, and their status.

	So, I am against a priori relegating non developers to an
 inferior position when it comes to our BTS conventions.

	Acting on a preconceived notion of the class a person may
 belong to, rather than the merits of the persons position and
 viewpoint, is fundamentally flawed.

	manoj
--
 Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein