Re: irc.debian.org

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:55:27 +0200
Josip Rodin <joy@debian.org> wrote:
> If such a thing happens, at least we have an option. An OFTC source
> which also prefers anonymity ;) told me that they wouldn't solicit
> moving irc.debian.org server CNAME to irc.oftc.net, but that they
> would gladly accept it if we asked.

Actually, I needn't remain anonymous :)

We (OFTC staff) discussed a long time ago what we're going to do about
projects which could use OFTC services. We weren't sure how to let them
know that we were available.

In other words, we didn't know what kind of advertising we should use.
We ended up deciding, "none". OFTC is still just getting started. Our
IRC servers are really quite good and almost 100% ready to go, but we've
not implemented project registration, nor project mailing lists, nor
project web space, ... you get the idea. Debian needs none of those
things that aren't implemented, so obviously those features aren't
particularily germane to the discussion, but I thought it was worth
saying.

Anyways, in the end we decided not to advertise, not to solicit projects
in any way, shape, or form. There's too much room for misunderstanding.
Right now OFTC only offers IRC, and IRC already has a reputation as not
being a "real" communications medium. So we don't want the IRC part of
OFTC to bring down the rest of it (the rest of it isn't in place yet,
bear with us :).

Would we do our best to support Debian if they started using OFTC's IRC
services? Yes, of course. But we can't actually invite Debian, just
because too many people would deliberately misinterpret the invitation
as something unethical.

\ David B. Harris, Systems administrator   |   http://www.terrabox.com /
/  eelf@sympatico.ca, elf@terrabox.com     |     http://eelf.ddts.net  \
/ Clan Barclay motto: Aut agere, aut mori.  (Either action, or death.) \