Debian and GNU

Hello,
  I'm a debian [really enthusiastic] user, and I like very much the free
software devotion of debian project.

  I would like to ask you for a question maybe old, but I think I need to know
the following, so if you have resources and links I will thank you.
The point is: Is Debian e GNU distribution, or is GNU/Linux only a component of
Debian? Isn't it possible to become - for Debian - a GNU project? Even if it
accomodate software not exactly covered by gpl (I think Perl isn't GPL, but I'm
not so sure) ???

  Many thanks to all the Debian developers :)

Best regards,

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.
      Albert Einstein
Marco Mililotti
email: mililmar@lucy.dii.unisi.it
web  : http://www.dadacasa.com/yah/