Re: On the lets-remove-nonfree-proposal

On 19-Jul-00, 06:05 (CDT), Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> I find it hard to believe that you can't imagine that someone
> can support the GR and still use and maintain non-free software
> (and if the GR passes to do it outside of Debian).

I find it hard to believe that some people (not sepecifically you,
Marcus) can't imagine that someone can oppose the GR and still be a
supporter and promoter of free software.

> How often could one read accusions that supporters of the GR are
> narrow-minded free software zealots, fanatics even. Now you find
> out that this is not the case, and you are still complaining.

How often could one read accusations that opposers of the GR are
secretly evil-minded proprietary software zealots, ethically unable to
distinguish the free software from that which is not.

> It seems that nothing a supporter of the GR can do will convince
> you that they are (at least some of them) rational, sensible people.

It seems that nothing an opposer of the GR can do will convince some of
the supporters that they are (at least some of them), rational, sensible
people.

> Instead, opposers of the GR tried to push the supporters in a
> radical position. Now they find out that this is not the case,
> and find themself loosing this argument. To continue arguing
> about this issue in this way is really a poor style of
> argumentation, and shows that you have done little to try to
> understand the stance of the supporters of the GR how they see it.

Rather than retype this paragraph, I'll just note
's/suppporters/opposers/g'.

Again, this not specifically aimed at Marcus, it's just a convenient
text to work from, because it's so easy to search-and-replace to
generate *exactly* the attitude with which some of the GR supporters,
including John Goerzen[1], have treated those who disagree with them.

I'm enormously tired of this argument, but *both* sides have argued both
rationally and irrationally, and both sides have treater the other with
both respect and disdain, as a simple perusal of the archives will show.
It has not been our finest hour.

Steve

[1] See my note of 13/6, JG's reply of 15/6, and possibly my rather
intemperate reply of 18/6, all in debian-project, all with subject
"Re: An ammendment (Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish
Non-Free)" and draw your own conclusions.