Re: hplip on svn.debian.org

Mark Purcell wrote:
I was looking to take a current snap shot of your work and upload again to
Debian, but have noticed you have now introduced cupsddk as both a
dependency and a new package within Ubuntu.  As far as I can tell cupsddk
hasn't been introduced to debian and I haven't seen any intentions of it
being packaged.  Should we be introducing this package into Debian and
what does it do for hplip?
Cc: to cupsys maintainers as well as I'm sure they have a view.

Yes, you should introduce cupsddk. To do so, simply take my Ubuntu package. In most cases it simply serves as a PPD generator, also for HPLIP. Instead of the huge PPD files there is only the small and light source file, the .drv file on the system. The PPD generator /usr/lib/cups/drivers/drv generates PPDs on-the-fly then. Also the SpliX printer driver package for Samsung uses cupsddk. cupsddk also contains some drivers for HP and Epson printers.