Re: LibreOffice crash - rijndael.c: No such file or directory

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 7:07 PM Casey C <fienixppc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> All versions of LibreOffice that I've tested after 7.3.5 appear to have
> a bug which causes the application to crash when attempting to open a
> previously saved document.
>
> When running via gdb, the application ends with the following output:
>
> "Thread 1 "soffice.bin" received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
> rijndael_encryptCBC (cx=0x53a8a80, output=0x53a88c0 "\005:�\230",
>     outputLen=<optimized out>, maxOutputLen=<optimized out>,
>     input=0x52cb860 "password-check\002\002\005,�d",
> inputLen=<optimized out>)
>     at rijndael.c:780
> 780     rijndael.c: No such file or directory.
> (gdb)"
>
> Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there a missing depends?

SIGILL is probably due to in-core AES crypto instruction from POWER8
and above. It sounds like the call to rijndael_encryptCBC is _not_
being guarded with a runtime check. Instead of falling back to a
software-only implementation, it sounds like POWER8 AES instructions
are being used unconditionally.

In the past, the problem was due to building the package with
-mcpu=power8 or similar. It happens to a lot of packages.

Jeff