Re: Are G3/ no altivec cpu still usable on Debian?

On Sat, 03 Jun 2023 12:14:47 +0200
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Sat, 2023-06-03 at 11:29 +0200, Lorenzo wrote:
> > There is a bug in mplayer [1] that could be fixed by building a
> > variant of mplayer without altivec, however I can't tell if such
> > bug can still be triggered nowadays. The ppc port is gone right?
> > Are cpus without altivec still usable on one of Debian's powerpc
> > ports?
>
> No, Debian for 32-bit PowerPC is still maintained as an unofficial
> port:
>
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2023-05-28/debian-12.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso
>
> As for Altivec support in mplayer: Have you tried the latest version?
> It might be possible there is proper runtime detection these days.

According to mplayer upstream [1] "AltiVec runtime detection never
worked reliably" and "the way it was detected in libavcodec was an
unacceptable hack".. that was in back in 2007, I'll check if upstream
still consider runtime detection unfeasible.

Thanks for your help,
Lorenzo

[1]https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=448105