Re: Request for a once-montly PowerPC for Apple Systems FAQ?

On 2022-02-01 01:30, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hello Ken!

On 1/31/22 17:09, Ken Cunningham wrote:
But most people have no idea even what boot iso to use, it seems, from the 1,200 questions
over and over and over about it on the Linux on PowerPC Macs facebook group (and the 1,199
wrong answers :> ).
As I explained in [1], there is a reason why I am currently not yet producing working images
every time. Getting all the necessary bits and pieces into place requires lots of efforts due
to the amount of necessary quality assurance.

I know that it's a frustrating situation, but configuring the bootloader on Apple PowerMacs is
unfortunately much more complicated than on computers with UEFI or U-Boot, for example.

Adrian

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2021/12/msg00032.html

Indeed. I'm certainly familiar with all that, but I can tell you a great many are not.

This would be exactly the reason for the FAQ (or similar).

The Facebook users (mostly) had no idea this mailing list existed, until I started sending everyone here.  But even then, someone coming here will not easily see that that they need to find a special iso to install debian on PowerPC Macs, or which one it is.

All your excellent work deserves to be used! So make it easier for people, is all I'm about here.

Ken