Re: OT: Huge Right to Repair Win for Consumers

On 6/30/21 6:55 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> I tried many years ago too keep MkLinux alive - I tried myself updating
> a bit the 2.0x kernel series but failed.

Apple's modified 2.0.33 kernel from DR3 can still be updated to enable
different options, but it appears that Apple never made an effort to get
their extensive 2.0.33 modifications folded into the mainline Linux
distribution (www.kernel.org), or their modifications were submitted but
never accepted.

> Interesting stuff, my only
> foray into kernel hacking which died. Attempts to get a 2.2 died.

There are a few 2.4 and 2.6 kernels available for Nubus PowerMacs (see
http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/). They used the "Mach Kernel" format
and the "MkLinux Booter", but apparently without Mach. Unfortunately,
their efforts were also not included in mainline Linux. And I think only
the 2.4 Nubus kernels work on PowerMac 6100 systems, since the Ariel II
video driver was no longer supported after 2.4.

> So it is officially all dead? EMILE could to boot natively in 68k with
> nuBus. It faded away... my 6100 has gone... But I still have my 8200
> (actually a PCI system, much newer than the 8100) and undecided what to do.

As a PCI system, your 8200 should work with BootX and modern mainline
Linux kernels (through 4.x).

> The system has a PPC601 CPU and from what I read, the Kernel support was
> removed for it, so it is not just a bootloader issue.

Yes, PPC601 support appears to have been removed, but relatively modern
kernels (such as 4.x) still work, and they can be used with Debian SID
and would be better than 2.4. I was able to get Debian 4 (Etch) to
mostly work with 2.4.32, but that was about as far as 2.4.32 could go.

BootX could probably be made to boot modern kernels on Nubus PowerMacs,
but changes to its source code would be needed, and the details of what
would need to be changed are buried in the MkLinux bootloader.

> Riccardo

-s