Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On 08/26/2018 02:15 PM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
What is this tool that is missing?

A working device-to-ofpath translator.

Thanks, but why use ofpath when GRUB2 core.elf can figure that out all
by itself without the use of open firmware stuff? Just use the UUID of
the partition where the second main GRUB2 is installed, and use the
first GRUB2 only as the first stage core.elf.

IIRC this was needed for the CHRP script (named BootX by GRUB, see [1], [2] and [3] and the following line at [3]) that GRUB wants to install on the HFS partition when using `grub-install --macppc-directory=[...]`. And this script is actually meant to be started from OF (also provides icons for the graphical bootscreen) and itself boots `core.elf`, but hence needs to know the path to it.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub/blob/master/grub-core/boot/powerpc/grub.chrp.in

[2]: https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub/blob/master/util/grub-install.c#L1881

[3]: https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub/blob/master/util/grub-install.c#L1887

Your method is much simpler and this is also what I used initially to get GRUB installed onto and loaded by my PowerMac G5, but the idea for the inital patches to d-i/grub-installer was to not divert too much from the installation mechanism for "macppc" provided by GRUB and how NewWorld PowerMacs are usually booted with MacOS X.

Cheers,
Frank