Re: POWER6 not seeing memory above 2Gb

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

Well I know running a 64 bit kernel on that model, does see 16GB ram.
But I was doing that with no LPAR or anything else, just Debian installed
straight onto the machine (IBM support people have a hard time
understanding that people might do that).

So either you somehow installed a 32 bit kernel, or you have an LPAR or
something else restricting your memory size.

--
Len Sorensen

No LPAR or VM, running just "bare metal". I had AIX installed previously and it recognized 16Gb.

uname -a
Linux new-host-4 3.16.0-4-powerpc64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u2 (2017-03-07) ppc64 GNU/Linux

lscpu
Architecture:          ppc64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Big Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    1
Socket(s):             2
NUMA node(s):          1
Model:                 IBM,8203-E4A
Hypervisor vendor:     pHyp
Virtualization type:   para
L1d cache:             64K
L1i cache:             64K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3

Seems like a config issue? Wouldn't a 32 bit kernel see the 32 bit limit, under 4Gb?