Re: PowerPCSPE port status

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:51:33AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Aurelien,

> It seems that the powerpcspe port hasn't seen an upload since the
> beginning of the year, with the consequence that less than 30% of the
> packages are now up to date. What is the status of this port?

I tried to keep the port a live in my spare time but gave up because they were
too many changes.

> Are there
> still people working on it?

I am not. Kyle left Boeing and the other people there seem not to continue his
work.

>using it?

I am getting mails from time to time "how can I help with the port I need new
packages" or something like that but after I tell what there is to do I don't
hear anything anymore. P2020 is still used in new designs and I don't know if
still FSL recommends it. The successor CPUs in this category (post P2020 that
is P2041, P4xxx, …) have the e500mc core (instead of e500) which supports the
"normal" FPU which can not make use of the port.

If you need to space and nobody is stepping up to maintain the port then I
guess nobody will complain :)

> Thanks,
> Aurelien

Sebastian