Re: Debian 6.0.2: What do i need for partition mobility ?

Hello,

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:02:28AM +0000, Schneck Dennis CIS SDE wrote:
> can somebody tell me what i need for: partition mobility ?
> I tried with online and offline LPAR but I do not work.
> Are there Agents or Kernel Modules ?
> In the HMC I see that the OS is not detected.

unfortunately i never got around to finish this very same little
project :-/ But from what i gathered you'd need the same set of
software packages for LPM that you'd need for DLPAR operations. I
started with this list:
  http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxinfo/v3r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fliaae%2Fiphazinstallsuse11hmc.htm
  https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/lopdiags/suselinux/hmcmanaged/sles11.html

and began to convert the RPMs to .deb with alien. Unfortunately there
was quite a list of patches that came out of this work, because not
all the RPM pre-/post-scripts or rc.d-scripts work out of the box for
Debian. I got as far as being able to see the correct OS version in
the HMC and being able to do DLPAR operations, but sometimes the DLPAR
operations would fail, leaving the partition profile and the OS inside
the partition with different configuration states. There would have
been need for further investigation on the DLPAR issue, but this is
where i left the whole thing off due to lack of time :-( I'd figure
from there on you'd only need a kernel being able to be suspended and
you'd be good to go ...

Best regards,

    Frank