Re: Auto-booting USB stick in OF

Risto Suominen wrote:
Hi,

Strictly speaking, this is not a Debian issue, not even Linux, but
since I don't know of any Open Firmware list, and it may be just a
matter of time before someone else tries this...

I wrote the following two lines into OF nvramrc parameter with
'nvedit' (Read this to the end before trying yourself!):

devalias usb /pci@f2000000/usb@19/disk@1
dev /options " usb" open-dev dup if close-dev " usb:,\\:tbxi" "
boot-device" property else drop then

I ran this manually with 'nvrun' and achieved what I wanted: (1) if
there was a USB stick plugged-in on boot, the boot-device shown by
'.properties' was changed to 'usb:,\\:tbxi' (The boot-device shown by
'printenv' does not change.), and saying 'boot' booted Linux from the
stick, (2) if no USB stick was present, the boot-device remained, thus
allowing to boot from hard disk.

Then I made the fatal error, I ran 'nvstore', 'setenv use-nvramrc?
true' and 'shut-down'. Now the machine won't boot anymore. The chime
is there but the display remains black.

The machine in question is an iBook G3 Dual USB 500 MHz.

Risto

Have you tried the ifixit site?  http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/search/ibook+g3

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.