Re: Is this the appropriate list?

Yes, LXDE is much zippier than Gnome on this old beast.  I set it up to boot into the command-line interface and only use startx occasionally.

I have given up on getting the sound card working as it will just be a development machine anyway.  Any suggestions for a good development environment other than the standard GNU/GCC compiler tools collection?

Cheers, Tom