Re: Lenny on Apple 9600 - noobie questions

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:41:05 -0400
Jeff Fry <jeffhfry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I've been plodding my way through the massive
> Debian-PowerPC Installation Guide and have yet to finish.
>
> I guess the standard procedure must be to go ahead and try to
> install, then ask questions here when things don't go correctly?

Yes, that's true but I doubt you will have any problems. Debian is well
supported on most hardware platforms.

> I guess I'll just have to try this and see how it works. Does anybody
> know when and how I would compile the driver for this?

Usually if you want support for newer hardware you would have to
recompile the kernel that includes the new drivers. This is actually
not as hard as it sounds. If it comes to this, just post back again.

> >> I have several video cards to choose from:
> >> IX3D Ultimate-Rez Rev 1.01 (8 MB)
> >> Twin Turbo 128M8 Rev 3.6 (8 MB)
> >> Twin Turbo 128M/M2 Rev 3.7 (4 or 8 MB ?)
> >> Twin Turbo 128M8A Rev 3.8.1 (8 MB)
> >> ATi Nexus 128 (32 MB)
> >> ATi Radeon 7000 Mac Edition (32 MB)
> >> Are any of these video cards known to be a problem?
> >>

> > I use an ATI Radeon Mobility (8MB) VRAM. No problems so far.
>
> When searching through the archives for this list, I saw many people
> having problems with the Twin Turbo cards. Hopefully, this has been
> fixed by now.

If you are not going to be using 3D too much then you shouldn't have
any problems.

> I finally found the section in the Installation Guide about hard
> drive strategies, partitioning, RAID, etc. Looks like I've got a LOT
> of reading to do before I should even think about installing Debian. :-)

If you just want a basic install then configuring the partitions and
installing Debian is quite straightforward. I suggest you try it out
this way first then once you know your way around things then you can
properly reinstall it.