Re: installing Lenny on IBM RS/6000

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:05:03AM -0700, dale-gmail wrote:

> i have a rs/6000  7248-133
> which is a prep machine.
> started with  loading it with  woody (2.4.x)
> by following the following how to:
>
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/IBM7248-HOWTO.html
> (it is still there)

Thanks, the HOWTO looks great, but unfortunately there seems to be a
significant difference between 7248 machines and my 7043 (NetBSD also
lists them on different bullet points[1]).  I was not able to boot
the kernel images linked on that page.

But I made some progress today: I was able to boot a SuSE 7.3 kernel
as described at [2].  Unfortunately I can't find any SuSE 7.3 PPC
CD-Rom images to take the installation any further[3].

When I find some time I'll take a shot at cross-arch debootstrapping
by moving the harddisk to another machine.  Perhaps this works, but
I'll still need to find a kernel that boots.  I can only hope that
SuSE 7.3 kernel works nicely with a Woody or Sarge.

Regards
Christian

[1] http://www.netbsd.org/ports/prep/hardware.html
[2] http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/walkthrough/edsuse73/
[3] http://groups.google.de/group/de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc/browse_thread/thread/1368177309154837#
--
....Christian.Garbs.....................................http://www.cgarbs.de

> Es gibt kein Programm unter Linux, das in der Lage ist, komplexere
> Word-Dokumente fehlerfrei anzuzeigen.
So ein Programm gibt es aber genausowenig unter Windows :-)
                            (Ulli Horlacher in de.comp.os.unix.misc)