Switching from Ubuntu

Hi,

I have a PowerBook G4 and I running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. I am not completely satisfied with it and I am thinking of converting to Debain.

Just how different is the 'Official CD/DVD images of the "stable" release' <http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable> from Ubuntu? Does it use GNOME? How hard is it to set up the internet (if I get that going, I can <strike>bug</strike> ask you about anything else)?

I have my /home mounted on a separate partition. Can I easily remount it under Debian? (I will make backups before I start).

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.