Re: installing Lenny on IBM RS/6000

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:08:31PM -0700, dale wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Garbs" <mitch@cgarbs.de>

I've look around on these pages, but there are still some questions:

- First I'd like to try and play around with the load-base and
  real-base firmware settings.  For a possible "quick win"
  I'd like to try netbooting the Lenny installer again.
  This leave me at the original question:
  Which is the file to initially load via TFTP?

- The quoted site recommends installing SuSE 7.3.  I could try that,
  but when switching over from SuSE to Debian I'll be in the same
  situation as with my last switch from Gentoo to Debian where I made
  the system unbootable.

  How exactly do I make the Debian system bootable?  The installation
  manual lists detailed instructions for OldMac/CHRP (quik) and NewMac
  only (yaboot) at [1], but I don't know what to do on PREP.
  Where do I put my kernel?  Do I have to use quik or yaboot?

  Side question:  I understand that I have to create a ~4MB PREP
  System partition, but I don't know what to put on it.

  ...disregard that, parallel to writing this mail I came across [2]
  which tells me to put the kernel onto that partition and use
  preptool on it afterwards.
  This might actually be the one thing I was looking for :-)

- I don't want to install SuSE just to install a Debian with it, but I
  don't know how big the differences between two architectures are.

  Would it be possible to take the SCSI harddisk from the RS/6000,
  put it into one of my i386s, partition it, initialize it via
  debbootstrap (cross-architecture) and put a PPC kernel into the PREP
  partition?

  To me this looks like an "easy solution" -- would it work?

Regards
Christian

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch06s03.html.en#di-make-bootable
[2] http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/walkthrough/edsuse73/#head-a4bee24718f82289d921065456e30b1ce53b974f
--
....Christian.Garbs.....................................http://www.cgarbs.de

> Es gibt kein Programm unter Linux, das in der Lage ist, komplexere
> Word-Dokumente fehlerfrei anzuzeigen.
So ein Programm gibt es aber genausowenig unter Windows :-)
                            (Ulli Horlacher in de.comp.os.unix.misc)