Re: No audio on PowerBook G4 for kernels > 2.6.22

Hello Gerfried,
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 06:29:36PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  Sorry for late reply :)

No problem.

> * Helge Kreutzmann <debian@helgefjell.de> [2008-07-30 19:33:13 CEST]:
> > I own a PowerBook G4.
>
>  Welcome to the club. :)

Well, for quite some time (though original on ibook).

> > When booting into 2.6.25 (Debian), no directory /dev/snd is present
> > (only /dev/sndstad) and mpg123 fails again with
> > /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>
>  Which mpg123 version do you use? Please note that there are multiple

1.4.3-3, which seems to be the lateste in Lenny

> packages out there providing that alternative binary.

Additionally installing mpg123-alsa does not help at all. And trying
with (self-compiled) mplayer does not help either. I think I tried
various other players. Do you have /dev/dsp?

>  snd_aoa_fabric_layout is the module that makes alsa work on my PB G4 so
> you might want to give that a try, and my mpg123 opens
> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

With strace, I see that my mpg123 tries that device (file) as well, but
it is not present. In /dev/snd I only see controlC0 and timer. And
yes, snd_aoa_fabric_layout is loaded (among other sound modules).

I think I'll have to hunt now why I don't have this device.

Thanks!

Greetings

           Helge