a couple of small sound issues with mac mini

For the most part, sound on my mac mini in debian unstable works well; i
can even get sound out of the built-in speaker and plugged-in speakers at
the same time (plugged into the headphone jack) which I couldn't do in
Macosx. However, I have a couple of issues.

1. Pcspkr doesn't work. Is there any way to get this or is there just no
speaker equivalent to the internal speaker on a pc? I wouldn't mind so
much except that I'm blind and (1) it helps when backspacing to hear the
beep when the whole line is erased, and (20 there's a sound one can hear
through the speaker when gdm loads that I can't hear.

2. I can't seem to control my volume except by the pcm control; there
seems to be no separate volume control. I can open
alsamixer and arrow on the speakers but nothing happens; same on
headphones. . I can mute and unmute fine but can only control volume
with the one pcm control. this isn't a big problem, but i just want to
make sure my setup is correct and that this is how it is supposed to
work. The soundcard shown when I open alsamixer is SoundByLayout.

Tia.

--

Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,