The powerpc architecture ubiquitous problem: sound

Hello all,

I have upgraded my kernel to 2.6.16.17 (vanilla, self built) forced by
the recent udev incompatible changes and I thought that I will use
snd-powermac.

It seems that I can't get sound without using esd.

Now, the fun part; every sound begins loud (or should I say at a
normal level) and then is almost imediately attenuated, resulting in
annoyance and really low volume in general. With dmasound-pmac the
volume used to be a lot louder and didn't had this kind of issues.

I have tried using the system without esd, but couldn't (some errors,
sorry I have tried it some time ago, I could try again to get the
exact error).

Does anybody has sound working better than this for a PowerBook5,2?
Any ideas how to fix this (without returning to dmasound-pmac)?

--
Regards,
EddyP