windfarm with 2.6.17-rc6-mm2

Hi

I have an iMac G5 and trying to get the fan controller working.
I've complied the latest kernel possible from kernel.org
(2.6.17-rc6-mm2), even applying the hotfix patch at
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.17-rc6/2.6.17-rc6-mm2/hot-fixes/git-powerpc-fix.patch

i2c-powermac is complied directly into the kernel.
All windfarm options are compiled as modules.

cat /proc/cpuinfo:
processor       : 0
cpu             : PPC970FX, altivec supported
clock           : 900.000000MHz
revision        : 3.0 (pvr 003c 0300)
timebase        : 33333333
platform        : PowerMac
machine         : PowerMac8,1
motherboard     : PowerMac8,1 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 338 (iMac G5)
pmac flags      : 00000000
L2 cache        : 512K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld

When I do 'modprobe windfarm_pm81' after a reboot all i get
from /var/log/messages is:
"windfarm: Initializing for iMacG5 model ID 3"
No other messages in the log apart from that one line.

The fans stay/come on at full speed.

Does anyone know if there is a user-space daemon that needs to run?
The module loads but doesn't seem to do anything.
Is there some config file that needs to exist?
Do I need to echo something to /sys?

Joel van Velden