packages held back?

ok it has been a very long time since I have written here, however I have been following a few threads, so first let me say this to Sven.

1.) I offer my sincere condolences in the personal tragedies that I am only vaguely aware of, but it was apparent that they were or at least seemed major, so the appropriate thing is to offer condolences, and I have and do.

2.) I much appreciate the help that you have given me atleast in a few areas, and you seem to know your stuff about the ins and outs of debian and I hope you continue here.

Now, onto the problem. I am not totally clear about the differences between apt-get and aptitude, but after updating my package list last night I get this

galeon gdk-imlib1 gnomemeeting libc6 libc6-dev libdirectfb-0.9-22 libdirectfb-dev libpt-plugins-alsa libpt-plugins-avc libpt-plugins-dc libpt-plugins-oss libpt-plugins-v4l libpt-plugins-v4l2 libsdl1.2-dev
  libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-all libxklavier10 yelp
when trying to do an apt-get upgrade. When I use aptitude to attempt the same (aptitude upgrade) I get :

The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
aalib1 bc cpp-3.3 docbook-dsssl esound gcalctool gconf-editor gdk-imlib1 gnome-doc-tools gnome-games gnome-games-data gnome-gv gnome-themes gnome-utils gnomemeeting gpdf gs gs-common gs-gpl gstreamer0.8-audiofile gstreamer0.8-mad gstreamer0.8-plugin-apps gstreamer0.8-tools gtk2-engines-crux gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue gtk2-engines-mist gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-redmond95 gtk2-engines-smooth gtk2-engines-thinice gucharmap guile-1.6-libs libcupsys2-gnutls10 libdb4.1 libdc1394-11 libdns16 libdps1 libebook8 libecal6 libedataserver3 libexif10 libflac6 libgimpprint1 libgsf-1 libgtkhtml2-0 libguile-ltdl-1 libisc7 liblwres1 libnetpbm10 liboggflac1 liboil0.2 libosp4 libpaper1 libpng10-0 libpt-1.8.3 libpt-plugins-alsa libpt-plugins-avc libpt-plugins-dc libpt-plugins-oss libpt-plugins-v4l libpt-plugins-v4l2 libsysfs1 libwnck4 libxaw7 libxft1 netpbm openjade pmount portmap slang1 xfree86-common
I am totally stumped by these two things, apt-get upgrade removes nothing so I have used that for the past week, by why does aptitude want to remove the above packages, and what does "kept back" mean from apt-get? checking the top of /var/log/Xorg.0.log I read that I am using
X Window System Version 6.9.0 (Debian 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6 20060404132215 buildd@voltaire)
which is xorg-6.9.0 right? Why is aptitude trying to remove xfree86-common which is a transitional package

I am running testing, if that help, and would appreciate any help from anyone

Thanks,
Mike