How can I get rid of the starting bong! (G4-mac mini)?

Hi!

Mi G4 mac mini, following apple tradition, starts with a noisy "bong!".
This is a real nuissance for me; I've talked to him, but to no avail...

Googling I found this app, for MacOS X:
http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/software.en.html

but no MacOS X is installed in my mac, only etch.

Next step is asking to them about how the app works (I got their email);
but I tought of asking here first, and maybe coordinate efforts, etc.

Obvious stuff I tried:
. The bong sounds even if headphones are plugged. Through the internal
speaker, I mean.
. Tried to press [mute] key before pressing the power button, but this
is a usb happy hacking, not an ADB mac keyboard...
. Tried setting the volume to 0 before shutting down the beast. No
avail.

Speakerectomy apart, do you know any way to disable this bong? Any
OpenFirmware variable that can be set? (I've looked for it, too, but no
luck either).

I tell you that this is troublesome for me: I live in an old building;
the walls are very thin..., and due to the (bad) architecture of the
building, the bong can be heard by, virtually, everyone. Specially at
night. I can hear clearly the conversations of at least three different
neighbours...

Thank you,

Pancho.

--