Re: On the status of support for the current generation iBooks

On 3/22/06, ruben <snowbender@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:52:01 -0600, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> > [...]
>
> I also have an iBook G4 1.33Ghz, since last summer.  The hardware is
> basically fully supported these days, except for the internal modem.
>
> > (b) I'm still slightly confused about power management and CPU
> > scaling, but the tools are clearly there, it's just a matter of
> > installing the right ones and setting them up.
>
> You just need to enable support for cpu frequency scaling and then
> this works just fine. I use this with cpudyn.

Thanks for the pointer, this is exactly the behaviour I was looking for.

> [...]
> > (f) X works, but 3d acceleration doesn't. Messages on this list
> > suggest that this will change with xorg 7.0, so I'll wait for that. My
> > one experiment trying to mirror the display on an external monitor
> > using the VGA connector hasn't been successful, but apparently it can
> > be done. TV out probably doesn't work.
>
> I have 3d acceleration working.  I tested this with crack-attack and
> chromium.  I did however download the mesa package source and enable
> the r300 driver.  The r300 driver is actually included in the source,
> but not built by default (IIRC). It should be included in xorg7.0
> though, which should hit unstable soon.
>
> Ok, I just checked that. I compiled mesa 6.3.2 myself and enabled the
> driver in that package, but I have mesa 6.4.1 installed from unstable
> now and this one contains the r300 driver. The exact package is
> libgl1-mesa-dri.

That works (tested with 3ddesktop), although libgl1-mesa-dri conflicts
with xlibmesa-dri which eventually removes libqt4-dev, which I sort of
need. Compiling Qt 4 from source works, so I'll just use that for now.

> Last week, I also hooked up an external monitor and that also worked
> just fine with MergedFB.  I could use it like a xinerama screen.  I
> didn't try clone mode and I also never tried to connect it to a tv.

At some point I would like to get clone mode working with overhead
projectors.  Are "ati" and "radeon" the same driver? My xorg.conf has
"ati", but the relevant documentation seems to be 'man radeon', which
calls the driver "radeon".

Deepayan