Re: Recompile Kernel

Hey,

Am So, den 19 März 2006, schrieb Jason Gauthier:
>   I recompiled a kernel the other night, and modified quik.conf to allow
> me to boot it.
> But, when I did I received an error about the file format not being
> valid:
>
> /boot/vmlinux-test: unknown image format
>
> So, After it booted, I compared:
>
> vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500,
> version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
> lanfear:/boot# file vmlinux-test
> vmlinux-test: executable (RISC System/6000 V3.1) or obj module not
> stripped

If I compile a kernel for the platforms CHRP/PowerMac/PReP, than there
are several images in linux/arc/ppc/boot/images:

miboot.image:     executable (RISC System/6000 V3.1) or obj module not stripped
vmlinux.coff:     executable (RISC System/6000 V3.1) or obj module not stripped
vmlinux.elf-pmac: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
vmlinux.gz:       gzip compressed data, from Unix, last modified: Thu Feb 23 00:52:07 2006, max compression
zImage.chrp:      ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
zImage.chrp-rs6k: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
zImage.elf:       ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

I think you have just chosen the wrong one.

Hope, that it helps,

	Dieter Schuster

--
GnuPG Key-ID: 1024D/5EE6EF26, bitte verschlüsselte E-Post; keine HTML-Post.

Keine Logik-/Softwarepatente. Pas de Brevets Logique/Logiciels.
No Logic/Software Patents.