Re: ESD blocks Gnome and gnome applications

Am 06.12.2005 um 12:58 schrieb Otavio Salvador:

Simon Wegler <Simon.Wegler@email.de> writes:

You may want to try out Polypaudio [1] by Lennart Poettering. It is a
drop-in ESD replacement with a sanitized architecture.

Unfortunately, polypaudio is dead upstream :( It'll be remove from
Debian since upstream don't care about it anymore since GNOME decided
to don't use it.

IIRC, GNOME people didn't impose any particular sound server. I think there were plans to migrate the whole libgnome* stack to gstreamer, but I'm not up to date on that. The GNOME mailing list archives [1,2] contain discussions, but it doesn't look like they yielded any conscense, except that as much of the framework as possible should be modular and thus pluggable.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-October/ msg00436.html [2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-multimedia/2004-October/ msg00010.html