Re: Opendarwin with Debian

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 18:08 -0500, Benjamin Racher wrote:
> So, I started wondering if it might be possible to use an opendarwin
> kernel on a debian system. I've seen a couple postings about porting
> debian to darwin, but it doesn't seem like anybody's tried it. Does
> anybody have any experience with this, let alone know what the benefits
> of running a darwin kernel might entail? Would this be a way for the
> opensource community to get more involved in developing the kernel that
> apple uses for their hardware and start to create a happier relationship
> between opensource developers and Apple? Would this help convince Apple
> to give us a little more leverage on getting code for developing
> opensource ATI drivers or Airport or opening up other software to the
> opensource community?
>
> Just some ideas.
>
> - Ben
Get it all in writing as I'd hate to see people put a lot of effort for
diminished returns.  As for the learning experience with a micro kernel,
I hear there is little point to implementing a micro kernel as a
monolithic because this setup, and I gather OS X's, doesn't take
advantage of the idiosyncratic advantages of micro-kernels.  Or at least
this is the stance of the Hurd/L4 developers.