Re: Ibook G4 freezes

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 21:53 +0100, Kevin ALLIX wrote:

> > Can you try disabling DRI ? It could be that causing your video chip to
> > crash... You can do that by either removing the radeon.ko kernel module
> > or by removing the Load "dri" line in your xorg.conf (or XF86Config if
> > you are still using xfree). Make sure DRI is _not_ initialized by
> > inspecing the server log, and let me know if that helps.
> >
> > Ben.
>
> DRI is disabled, even when the radeon module is not loaded, it freezes.
> >From  xorg log : (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
> Complete xorg log at the end of this mail.

Ok, two other things you can try:

 - Disable cpufreq, make sure it's completely disabled (ie, the kernel
option too, rebuild your kernel if necessary) and tell us if it makes a
difference.

 - Do you have xmon enabled ? if not, enable it (CONFIG_XMON). First
check that it works, that is when pressing command-power you enter xmon
(you see the mon> prompt, exit with "x" <return>). xmon is a low level
kernel debugger. Also, make sure X uses "UseFBDev" so that xmon can
reliably access the screen even while running X. Now, try to reproduce
the freeze. Does it enter xmon at the point of the freeze ? If not, try
pressing command-power when it's frozen. Do you manage to get into xmon
that way ? If yes to any of these, then, copy what xmon says. Then use
xmon "t" command to get a backtrace and copy that too and send it to me.

 - If none of these works, can you try reproducing the problem in
console mode instead of X ? When it happens, do you see anything in the
console ? Oops message, kernel panic, whatever ?

Thanks,
Ben.