Re: Power Mac G3 beige : Problem with boot

Hans Ekbrand wrote:
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:53:39PM +0100, Frédéric Massot wrote:

[...]

My problem is to boot directly under Linux, I configured quik, modified
Open Firmware with :
- boot-device scsi/sd@0:2
- boot-file /boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda2
- load-base 4000
And load-base 60000, 100000 and then 1000000

At the boot the system stops with this message :

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700 at %SRR0: FF862AB4  %SRR1: 00081070

Is this an error from OF, or from the linux kernel? (Looks like an OF
error)

Is load-base 4000 the default setting? Otherwise, reset to the default
setting and try again (my Performa 5400 boots nicely with quik and I
only need to set the boot-device parameter).

For Quik, I use a first.b-g3, the configuration of Quik is :

root=/dev/sda2
timeout=20
image=/boot/vmlinux
label=Linux
read-only

When, I run quik -v, I have :

# quik -v
Second-stage loader is on /dev/sda2
Conffile is /etc/quik.conf
Config file is on partition 2
Writing first-stage QUIK boot block to /dev/sda2
Making /dev/sda2 bootable (map entry 2)
Writing block table to boot block on /dev/sda2

It is OK ?

When I use BootX for booting to Linux, I have in Open Firmware :
- boot-device  /AAPL,ROM
- boot-file
- load-base  600000

Which are the parameters which you have in Open Firmware ?

If I change the parameter boot-device to "scsi/sd@0:2", I always have the error message : DEFAULT CATCH!, code=...

I found this documentation on this error message : http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#default-catch

I reboot the G3 several times without success. :o(

The version of the Open Firmware is 2.0f1

Thank you to help me.

Regards.
|              FREDERIC MASSOT               |
|     http://www.juliana-multimedia.com      |
|   mailto:frederic@juliana-multimedia.com   |